Archaeological evidence shows that Aboriginal people had seasonal
settlements near the present-day Alex Fraser Bridge at the
Glenrose and St. Mungo cannery sites over 8,000 years ago.
settlement sites, on the west side of the Beach Grove golf
course and along the shores of the Strait of Georgia, date
land that would become Delta was first sighted by Europeans
in 1791. Spanish explorer Lieutenant Francisco Eliza mistook
the area for an island and named it Isla Capeda.
Gold Rush of 1858 and the creation of the Colony of British
Columbia attracted settlers to the land. In the north of
Delta, James Kennedy had pre-empted acreage on the south bank
Fraser near New Westminster in 1859. The Ladner brothers,
William Henry and Thomas Ellis of Cornwall, England, on their
the gold fields, saw the potential for agriculture in the
rich soils of the Fraser River delta and resolved to return.
1868, they did and claimed land at the head of Chilukthan
and fishing were the economic foundations of Delta. Salmon
was first canned commercially on the Pacific coast near
In 1873, James Deas established a cannery at present-day
Deas Island. In 1879, Thomas Ellis Ladner opened a cannery
north end of Chilukthan Slough and later managed the Wellington
Cannery near Westham Island.
the population grew, incorporation was granted in 1879, and
the community of Ladner was designated its administrative